Monday, March 19, 2007

South Indian Wedding





Found myself resizing these images tonight for a magazine submission! These images were taken in July 2006. One of the most emotional weddings we ever took part in! I almost couldn't photograph the ending because I became such good friends with the bride, to see her sob in her mother's arms was about all I could handle!

In such a wedding, the end of the wedding (the departure) actually symbolizes the severing of ties with the bride's family and the new bond formed with the groom's family. Of course, they all still visit each other and live within a few miles. Pushpa, the MOB, explained to me the day of the wedding, the feeling for her, is like losing a daughter. Karishma, the bride, will join her husband in a new house and move out of her mother's home. If you click on the picture of the little girl (last photo) you can actually see the big tears in her eyes and streaming down her cheeks. I can't imagine she understood what was going on, but she seemed to be overwhelmed by the sadness surrounding her. Would love to share a few of these with you~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice shots i must say